The Big 6’s in Health
Here’s my 6 important steps for health (in order of importance) that I recommend to almost all my patients.
To determine the amount of water intake per day, here’s a little calculation to keep in mind
- 1/3 of your body weight (IBS) = Ounces of water
- Body weight (kgs) -18 (approx)=Ounces of water. (1 ounce= 30ml)
- + 8 Ounces for every vice (alcohol, coffee etc.)
- +8 ounces for every 20mins of exercise
(The recommended amount of water can include herbal teas )
- Protein and Vegetables:
- 10-15gms of protein for breakfast- (One simple rule to determine amount of proteins=size of your palm)
Proteins are necessary for a healthy cortisol response in the morning where it is at its peak from 6-10am. Examples for Proteins include- beans, nut butters, muesli, seeds, eggs, animal protein etc.
- Everybody should have at least 3 cups of veggies/day. Dark green vegetables and ideally organic.
- A good night sleep is necessary to restore your adrenals.
- Ideally, one should fall asleep in 20mins and have uninterrupted sleep for 6-8 hrs. We need two 3-4 Rem cycles to restore the adrenals.
- For those, who wake up in the middle of the night, a small amount of protein at bedtime and a calcium-magnesium supplement is helpful.
- Ideally, 15-20 mins twice daily or 1 hr/day if possible. It is best if it includes all the 3 components of exercise- flexibility, aerobics and strength. But, any form of movement is just good enough.
- Good supplement regime:
- It is best to get this evaluated through your Naturopathic doctor for appropriate dosages based on current lifestyle, specific conditions etc. Here’s a overly general supplement regime that most people would need these days in my opinion.
- A good quality multivitamin that may include iron or no iron depending on the requirement. I am not a big fan of advising multivitamins for everybody as most of it goes un absorbed especially in case of tablets. But, considering today’s scenario and the amount of ongoing mineral deficiencies I see in practice , everyone would benefit from an additional bonus of minerals if given in the correct format.
- Omega 3 oils. Quality here is extremely important and needs to be a reputable brand that is tested for heavy metals.
- A Calcium – Magnesium combination (1:1)
- Probiotics or fermented foods.
- Connect with Nature/soul/Gratitude:
- A daily routine to spend few mins of the day in activity that connects to your true self.
- Expressions that connect to your self can be prayer, reflection/meditation, art, music or nature walks, breath awareness, expression of gratitude to nature etc.
If you have a health condition and would like to explore how Naturopathic medicine could assist in your healing and recovery, Give us a call.